Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Midweek Time Killers: Women Country Singers

Country Standard Time recently posted interviews with Patty Loveless and Rosie Flores. Seeing those pieces on the CST website made me think I should post several items relating to women in country music. Both Loveless and Flores have new CDs out. You can read the Loveless interview here and the Flores interview here. Rosie Flores performed as part of a benefit concert I attended at the Continental Club in Austin back in Sept. One of these days I'll post a blog entry of some type posted about that show.

Last year, Loretta Lynn gave this interview to Country Stars Central. The site has both the text and a podcast of the interview. If you can, listen to the podcast. I love the fact Lynn is still inviting the interviewer down to her house when Lynn's people tell her the interview time is over.

Earlier this year, My Kind of Country featured this interview with Connie Smith. Quite a few female country singers, Dolly Parton included, have said in interviews that Connie Smith is their favorite singer.

And finally, a few weeks back, I flipped my SiriusXM radio onto Johnny Knoxville's show. That week's theme was "Country Crooners With Big Cranks". Somehow Bea Arthur's version "If I Can't Sell It, I'll Keep Sittin' On It" made the show. Go figure. You can hear that "masterpiece" here.

No comments:

Post a Comment