Saturday, February 7, 2009

I'm Just Drinking

There's no more fitting way to start Shedd's Spot's week long series of posts on alcohol consumption than with a classic drinking number from The Master of the Telecaster, Albert Collins. I had the good fortune, and I do really mean the good fortune, to see AC in concert several times before his death in November 1993. The man never put on a bad show.

Due to me being in the state of "I Ain't Drunk (I'm Just Drinking)" at most of those shows, the memories all seem to run together, but a couple of things about Albert's shows at the old Birchmere stand out.

First, was the evening my friend Virgil and I were waiting outside the Birchmere in line. We could hear AC wailing away inside while he was finishing his sound check. As soon as he finished the sound check, he came out the side door wearing an engineer's cap. He went all the way down the line shaking everyone's hand and thanking them for coming to the show before heading back to his bus.

Second, was the show legendary Washington blues DJ The Bama was in attendance. It was near the end for The Bama and he was in a wheel chair and covered by a blanket, sitting by the front door of the Birchmere. During the first song of the encore, Albert did his usual walk around the audience while playing, aided by his few hundred feet long guitar cord (he never used a wireless transmitter). When he got to where The Bama was sitting, Albert stopped and played just to The Bama for little while. I can still remember the look of joy on The Bama's face as AC was playing for him.

I'll save the rest of my Albert Collins memories for another post. But for now, let the drinking begin.....

No comments:

Post a Comment