Sunday, February 8, 2009

Newsflash: College Students Drink

At least that's what the latest edition of Washingtonian tells us.

I was in the check out line at the grocery store last week when I looked up to see the Washingtonian's annual issue listing the 100 best restaurants in the metro area. I usually buy this issue every year with the intention that I'll go to at least one of the restuarants listed in the coming year. Of course, it never works that way and I usually go to exactly none of them. (But, I do better with the issue later in the year that lists the 100 best cheap eats restaurants in the area.) Just like a little kid in a grocery line wanting candy, I just had to have this magazine, so onto the conveyor belt it went.

I got home and started thumbing through the magazine only to find an article entitled "Where's the Party?". The first line was "college kids still drink a lot and stay up late...". I thought to myself "that's good to know, I'd hate for the youngsters of today to miss out on all the hangovers I had on a regular basis back when I was in college". So, I read on.

The basis of the story was the writers followed students around for a night at five area colleges, Maryland, Howard, GW, Georgetown and George Mason, to check out the party scene. Honestly, the article was relatively boring and I think any of you readers who did some partying during your college days would read it and agree. But, the funny thing about the article was the lame explanations of the different ways college students expedite the process of tying one on that accompanied the very tame party pictures contained in the article. So, for those of you who have never partied it up in college or otherwise, I offer you Washingtonian's definitions of some key party terms:

A beer bong-a funnel attached to a tube-makes the beer go down fast.

The game flip cup is a race: Each player on a team has to chug a beer and then flip the empty cup so it lands upside down.

Keg stands-usually performed once everyone is buzzed-involve drinking from the tap while balancing upside down.

When beer-pong players land a Ping-Pong ball in a cup, the other team has to drink.

Maybe I'm showing my age, but there was no mention of quarters or shotgunning. But, I digress...

I would love to include a link to the story, but somehow this masterpiece of reporting didn't make the Washingtonian website. I was sorta hoping it would be on there right next to the list of the 88 best divorce lawyers in area. Oh well....

(I'm sure you have figured this out by now, but the picture above of the naughty little vixens beer bonging is not from the Washingtonian article.)

No comments:

Post a Comment